Application of Policy
Application of Policy
Effective: January 1, 2023 Previous Version
Your information and your privacy are important – to you and to us. This policy explains how we use your information and how we keep it safe. Importantly, it explains the choices you can make at any time about how your information is used. Below links can be used to go directly to the different policy sections.
- When this Policy Applies
- The Information we Collect
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use your Information
- How We Share your Information
- Your Privacy Choices & Controls
- Other Privacy Information
When this Policy Applies
This Policy applies to you and anyone who uses our Products or Services under your account, except where we identify that separate Cricket or affiliate privacy policies or terms, and conditions apply. You are responsible for making sure all users under your account understand and agree to this Policy.
Here are special circumstances where this Policy may not apply, or may apply in addition to other policies:
- Some of our affiliates – such as AT&T companies – have their own privacy policies that apply to data they collect from products, services, and apps they provide. Any data collected subject to this Policy that is shared with those affiliates will still be treated consistent with this Policy.
- Some areas both inside and outside of the United States - for example California and the European Union - require us to adopt different policy terms and commitments in accordance with local laws.
- In certain cases, when you’re using your Cricket Products or Services, other companies may be collecting information, so your information may be covered by this Policy and other privacy policies at the same time. Here are some examples: if you purchase one of our Products or Services from a retailer; if you use our services to connect to a social networking service or another company’s Wi-Fi network; or if you provide your information to another company through a co-branded website, app or service controlled by the other company. In those cases, any information you provide to those companies may be subject to just their policy, or subject to both their policy and ours.
- If you are a Cricket business customer, we may have written Product or Service agreements that contain specific provisions about confidentiality, security or handling of information. When one of those agreements differs from or conflicts with this Policy, the terms of those agreements will apply instead. In all other instances, the terms of this Policy apply.
The Information we Collect
We collect information about you and how you’re using our Products or Services along with information about your devices and equipment. This may include performance information, along with web browsing and location information.
Here are detailed examples of types of information we collect from our Products or Services:
- Account information includes things like contact and payment information, service-related details and history and similar information, including Customer Proprietary Network Information. It also includes technical, equipment and usage information that relate to the services, products, websites, and networks we provide you.
- Web browsing and app information includes things like the websites you visit or mobile apps you use, on or off our network. It includes internet protocol addresses and URLs, pixels, cookies and similar technologies, and identifiers such as advertising IDs and device IDs. It can also include information about the time you spend on websites or apps, the links or advertisements you see, search terms you enter, items identified in your online shopping carts and other similar information.
- Equipment Information includes information that identifies or relates to equipment on our networks, such as type, identifier, status, settings, configuration, software or use.
- Network performance and usage information includes information about our networks, including your use of Products or Services or equipment on the networks, and how they are performing.
- Location information includes your street address, your ZIP code and where your device is located. Location information is generated when the devices, Products or Services you use interact with cell towers, Wi-Fi routers, Bluetooth services, access points, other devices, beacons and/or with other technologies, including GPS satellites.
We collect your information in 3 ways:
- You give it to us when you make a purchase, set up an account or otherwise directly communicate with us.
- We automatically get it when you use, or your device uses, our Products or Services. For example, we use network tools to collect information like call and text records and the web browsing information we describe in this Policy.
- We get it from outside sources like credit information, marketing mailing lists and commercially available geographic and demographic information, along with other available information, such as public posts to social networking sites.
We use your information to power our services and to improve your experiences. We use your information to provide, support, improve, protect, analyze, and bill for our products, service, and network; to communicate with you about your service, products or apps; to market our services; to detect and avoid fraud; for advertising; and for research purposes.
Here are examples of ways we use your information:
- Providing our Products and Services.
- Contacting you.
- Improving your experience and protecting the Products and Services we offer. This includes things like customer care, network security, verifying or authenticating your identity, detecting and preventing fraud, billing, authorizing transactions and the development of future Products and Services.
- Helping us plan, deploy, improve, protect, and defend our network infrastructure, protecting our property and legal rights, and for other lawful purposes.
- Understanding the Products, Services and offers that you, and other Cricket customers with whom you call and text and interact, might enjoy the most. We do not use the content of your texts, emails, or calls for marketing or advertising.
- Creating engaging and customized experiences and offering new or improved Products and Services or offers. This is based on things like the information we’ve collected and our research, development, and analysis.
- Designing and delivering advertising and marketing campaigns to you and others and measuring their effectiveness. See Your Privacy Choices and Controls for more information about how your information is used for advertising and marketing programs and your choices and controls for such use.
- Delivering or customizing products and the content you see, including advertisements, articles, videos, and marketing materials.
- Creating aggregate business and marketing insights, and helping companies develop aggregate insights (for instance, to market or improve Products and Services). We aggregate the data before we share it, which means that we group the information so that it does not identify you personally, and we require anyone who receives this data to agree they will only use it for aggregate insights, won’t attempt to identify any person or device using this information, and will handle it in a secure manner, consistent with this Policy.
- For security purposes, including preventing and investigating illegal activities and violations of our Terms, Use Policies and other service conditions or restrictions.
- We share it with your permission.
- We share it across affiliate companies.
- We share it with non-affiliate companies or entities as explained in this Policy. For more details about how your information may be shared for advertising and marketing see Your Privacy Choices and Controls.
Sharing information with non-affiliated companies that provide services for us or for you: We share information that identifies you personally with vendors that perform services for us or that support Products or Services provided to you, including marketing or ad delivery services. We do not require consent for sharing with our vendors for these purposes. We do not allow those vendors to use your information for any purpose other than to perform those services, and we require them to protect the confidentiality and security of data they get from us in a way that’s consistent with this Policy.
Sharing information with non-affiliated companies to enable Identity Verification to you: We may share information with non-affiliated companies for their purposes to provide you services such as verifying or authenticating your identity, detecting fraud, protecting your financial accounts, and authorizing transactions. We do not allow those non-affiliated companies to use it for any purpose other than to perform those services, and we require them to protect the confidentiality and security of data they get from us in a way that’s consistent with this Policy. You are in control of this sharing and can opt out by texting “STOP” to 8010 or text “RESUME” to restart sharing at any time.
Sharing information with other non-affiliated companies or entities: There are also times when we provide information that identifies you personally to other companies and entities, such as government agencies, without your consent, but where authorized or required by law. Reasons to share include:
- Complying with court orders, subpoenas, lawful discovery requests and as otherwise authorized or required by law. Like all companies, we are required by law to provide information to government and law enforcement agencies, as well as parties to civil lawsuits. You can find out more about this in our Transparency Report.
- Detecting and preventing fraud.
- Providing or obtaining payment for your service.
- Routing your calls or other communications.
- Ensuring network operations and security.
- Notifying, responding, or providing information (including location) to a responsible governmental entity in emergency circumstances such as immediate danger of death or serious physical injury.
- Alerting the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to information concerning child pornography of which we become aware through the provision of our services.
- Enforcing our legal rights, protecting our network and property, or defending against legal claims.
- Providing name and number information for wireless caller ID and related services. This means a person receiving a call can see the name and number of the caller.
Sharing Aggregate Insights: We may share insights with non-Cricket companies about Cricket’s operations, network or services derived from aggregated customer data (data grouped so as not to identify you personally).
Sharing information for research: We may share information that doesn’t identify you personally with other companies and entities for research. When we share this information, we require companies and entities to agree not to attempt or to allow others to use it to identify individuals. Our agreements will also prevent businesses from reusing or reselling the information and require that they will handle it in a secure manner, consistent with this Policy.
Sharing information with affiliates and non-affiliate companies for advertising and marketing programs: We may share information with affiliates and with non-affiliate companies to deliver or assess effectiveness of advertising and marketing campaigns as described in the Your Privacy Choices and Controls section.
Your Privacy Choices and Controls
You can manage your privacy choices about how we contact you and how we use or share your information. You also have choices about how certain non-Cricket companies and advertisers use your information, including how we use and share your information for advertising and marketing.
Sometimes we have offers or programs that may interest you. We’d like to be able to tell you about these. You can manage how we do it. You can opt-out of marketing and advertising programs, but we still may contact you with service and non-marketing messages.
- Email: To opt-out of marketing emails, you can click on Customer Choices and Controls - Email or click the unsubscribe link in the marketing emails.
- Text messages: Opt-out of Cricket marketing text messages about Cricket products and services (“Cricket Marketing Texts”) by replying "stop" to those messages. If you have opted-in to Cricket marketing text messages about third party products and services (“Third Party Marketing Texts”) and want to opt-out, you can reply “stop” to those messages as well or manage it in your online account at cricketwireless.com. You can also opt-out of these types of marketing messages at Customer Choices and Controls – Cricket Marketing Texts and/or Customer Choices and Controls – Third Party Marketing Texts. As required or allowed by law, even if you opt-out, we may continue to contact you with automated messages at the telephone number issued by us for service and non-marketing information about your service. For example, we may remind you about your plan features or we may need to let you know about a problem with your wireless service.
- Automated messages: In some cases, we will ask for your permission to send you automated calls or messages to your mobile phone. To opt-out of these calls or messages from us, go to Customer Choices and Controls. As required or allowed by law, even if you opt-out, we may continue to contact you with automated calls or messages at the telephone number issued by us for certain important informational messages about your service. For example, we may need to let you know about a problem with your wireless service.
- Postal mail: To limit postal mail solicitations, you can opt out at Customer Choices and Controls - Postal Mail. You’ll still receive legal notices, product updates and other similar correspondence, and you may still receive some promotional mailings.
You have choices about how your information is used or shared in our programs that provide you with marketing and advertising tailored to your interests and for aggregate analytics. As your provider of communications and internet services, our collection and use of information operates independently in many cases from the user controls and settings on your device, through your operating system, or on non-Cricket company websites or apps.
Online behavioral advertising: Online behavioral advertising is automated, customized advertising that you see when using online services, like ads in mobile apps or on websites. Those ads are served to you based on inferences about your interests. Those interests are determined from data collected about you, whether by Cricket or other parties.
You can opt-out of online behavioral advertising from companies who participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance by going to their Consumer Choice Page or selecting this icon when you see it on an online ad.
To limit collection of data on websites that may be used for advertising, you can manage cookies on your computer. To learn more about controlling cookies, visit http://www.AboutCookies.org. If you change computers, devices, web browsers or you delete cookies, you will need to-opt out of online behavioral advertising again. Please note that our collection of web browsing information works independently of your web browser's privacy settings with respect to cookies and private browsing. In addition, we don’t currently respond to Do Not Track., please go to All About Do Not Track for more information.
Personalized: Personalized uses information to deliver ads that we think you might be interested in on websites, apps and other properties, sites, or services.
Personalized: This program gives you the benefit of offers and ads that are relevant to your interests. To determine your possible interests, we use data about your use of our products and services. We also use data we get from our advertising partners, and demographic data like ZIP code and age range. You won't see more ads – just customized ads. The Personalized program does not use your precise location, web browsing data collected as an internet service provider, information about your medical conditions, financial account information or Customer Proprietary Network Information. It also does not access or use the contents of your texts, emails or calls.
The Personalized program may place you into general categories of interest, such as “soccer fan.” When you participate in this program, we will also:
- Use automated decision-making, such as artificial intelligence, for things like marketing and advertising.
- Use some types of your Sensitive Personal Information, like your ethnic or racial origin, for things like marketing and advertising, except as noted above.
- Customer Proprietary Network Information: You can opt-out or go to Customer Choices and Controls for more information about Customer Proprietary Network Information and your choices about our use of that information for marketing purposes.
- Identity Verification: We may share information with non-Cricket companies such as your bank to help protect your accounts from fraud, verify your identity and make sure you authorize certain transactions. We do not allow those non-Cricket companies to use your information for any other purpose than those services. You are enrolled by default, but you can stop at any time. Text “STOP” to 8010 to turn off Identity Verification or “RESUME” to restart.
- Cricket Call Defense: Cricket Call Defense is enabled on your line if you have an HD Voice capable device. This product helps to automatically block potential fraud calls and will notify you of suspected spam calls if you are in an HD Voice coverage area. You can opt-out of this service by logging into My Account online or the myCricket app to disable Cricket Call Defense in your settings.
We work hard to safeguard your data using a range of technological and organizational security controls.
We maintain and protect the security of computer storage and network equipment, and we use security procedures that require employees to authenticate themselves to access sensitive data. We also limit access to personal information only to those with jobs requiring such access. We require callers and online users to authenticate themselves before providing account information.
No security measures are perfect, however. We can’t guarantee that your information will never be disclosed in a manner inconsistent with this Policy. If a breach were to occur, we will notify you as required by applicable law.
Data storage, transfer, retention, and accuracy
We take steps to ensure that data is processed according to this Policy and to the requirements of applicable law of your country and of the additional countries where the data is subsequently processed.
Data we collect may be processed and stored in the United States or in other countries where we or our affiliates or service providers process data.
When we transfer personal data from the European Economic Area to other countries, we use a variety of legal mechanisms to help ensure all applicable laws, rights and regulations continue to protect your data.
We keep your information as long as we need it for business, tax or legal purposes. We set our retention periods based on things like the type of personal information collected, how long the personal information is needed to operate the business or provide our Products and Services and whether the business is subject to contractual or legal obligations – such as ongoing litigation, mandatory data retention laws or government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation. After that, we destroy it by making it unreadable or indecipherable.
Need to update your information? We’re happy to help you review and correct the information we have on your account records. For more information, please see the Contact Us section of this Policy.
Other Privacy Information
Changes in ownership or to the Policy
Information about our customers and users, including information that identifies you personally, may be shared and transferred as part of any merger, acquisition, sale of company assets or transition of service to another provider. This also applies in the unlikely event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
We may update this Policy as necessary to reflect changes we make and to satisfy legal requirements. We’ll notify you via a text message, email or post a prominent notice of material changes at https://www.cricketwireless.com. We’ll give you reasonable notice before any material changes take effect.
Information specific to children
We don’t knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 without parental notice and, where appropriate, parental consent. Unless we have parental consent, we will not contact a child under the age of 13 for marketing purposes. We and our advertising partners may collect, use or share information about customers who log onto our websites as described in the information we collect, how we collect your information, how we use your information and how we share your information sections of this Policy.
Information collected from devices or services purchased by adult subscribers that are used by children without our knowledge will be treated as the adult's information under this Policy.
Our affiliate has developed safety and control tools, expert resources and tips designed to help you manage technology choices and address online safety concerns. Please go to AT&T Screen Ready for more information.
Information for our California customers
Website data collection: We don’t knowingly allow other parties to collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across non-Cricket company websites for their own use when you use our websites and services, unless we have your consent.
Do Not Track notice: We don’t currently respond to Do Not Track. Please go to All About Do Not Track for more information. However we recognize and honor the opt out preference signal associated with a Global Privacy Control.
State Privacy Rights and Choices
Certain states provide you rights regarding your Personal Information. Personal Information and rights in these states [California and Virginia] and jurisdictions are explained in the following section. To underscore our commitment to our privacy principles and to provide a consistent experience, we also offer these as choices to consumers in places where they are not required:
Personal Information (“Personal Information”) means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, is linked to, or could be reasonably linked to, either directly or indirectly, an identified or identifiable individual or household.
The Personal Information We Collect and Its Purpose of Collection
Personal Information We Collected From Consumers or From Other Companies About Consumers
|Categories||Examples||Collected or created||Source||Purpose of collection and use|
|Identifiers||Name, postal address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers IP address, device IDs, or other similar identifiers||Collected||
Characteristics of Protected Classification Under State or Federal Law
|Age, age range, date of birth, gender, preferred language, marital status||Collected||
|Commercial information||Records of personal property||Collected and created||
|Geolocation Data||Your street address, your ZIP code and where your device is located||Collected||
|Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information||Videos viewed, pages viewed, browsing history, search history and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement||Collected
|Inferences or audience segmentation||Individual profiles, preferences, characteristics, behaviors||Collected and created||
|Audio, electronic, visual or similar information||Audio recordings, signatures associated with an account||Collected
|Biometric information||Scan of face geometry, that is used to identify a specific individual||Collected
|Education Information||Degree(s), actual or inferred level of education||Collected||
Information We Shared About Consumers
Here is information about the Personal Information we have collected from consumers over the past year and the purpose for which we shared it:
|Categories||Collected or Created||Categories of Companies we’ve shared with||Purpose for Sharing|
|Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information||Collected||
|Inferences or audience segmentation||Collected and Created||
The Sensitive Personal Information We’ve Collected and the Purpose of its Collection, Sharing and Sale
Here is information about the Sensitive Personal Information, as defined under California law, that we have collected from consumers and other companies over the past year. We list the purpose for which we collected it, the types of companies we’ve shared it with and why. Cricket has not sold Sensitive Personal Information.
|Categories||Purpose for collection||Categories of Companies we’ve shared with||Purpose for Sharing (Making available constitutes a share)|
|Financial accounts & credentials: account log-in, financial account, debit card or credit card number in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to an account||
|Demographic, Religious or occupational information: racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership||
|Content of Communications: The contents of an individual’s Plain SMS text messages up to 48 hours and spam texts (Learn More) unless the business is the intended recipient of the communication||
|Biometric information: the processing of biometric Information for the purpose of uniquely identifying an individual
Your Right To Ask Us Not To Sell or Share Your Personal Information, and Your Right To Ask Us to Limit The Use Of Your Sensitive Personal Information
You can tell us not to sell or share your Personal Information. Additionally, you can tell us to limit the use of your Sensitive Personal Information. You may make such requests by:
- Visiting us at Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Data (cricketwireless.com)
- Contacting us at 844-246-1628
Providing Personal Information to service providers or contractors does not constitute a sale or sharing of Personal Information. You may use an authorized agent to make your request and we will confirm whether or not your request has been processed and why.
Once we receive and verify your request, we will not sell or share your Personal Information and will limit the use of your Sensitive Personal Information unless you later allow us to do so. We may ask for your permission to resume sale of your Personal Information at a later date, but we will wait at least 12 months before doing so.
Consumers Under 16 Years Old
We do not have actual knowledge that we sell Personal Information of consumers under 16 years of age. If we collect Personal Information that we know is from a child under 16 years, we will not sell that information unless we receive affirmative permission to do so. If a child is between 13 and 16 years of age, the child may provide that permission.
Your Right to Request Disclosure Of Information We Collect And Share About You
We are committed to ensuring that you know what information we collect. You can ask us for the following information:
- The categories and specific pieces of your Personal Information that we’ve collected.
- The categories of sources from which your Personal Information was collected.
- The purposes for collecting or selling your Personal Information.
- The categories of non-Cricket companies with whom we shared your Personal Information.
We are also committed to ensuring that you know what information we share about you. You can submit a request to us for the following additional information:
- The categories of Personal Information we’ve sold about you, the non-Cricket companies to whom we’ve sold that Personal Information, and the category or categories of Personal Information sold to each non-Cricket company.
- The categories of Personal Information that we’ve shared with service providers who provide services for us, like processing your bill; the categories of service providers to whom we’ve disclosed that Personal Information; and the category or categories of Personal Information disclosed to each service provider.
Your Right to Request Correction of Inaccurate Personal Information
You may request that that we correct inaccurate Personal Information we have about you. When you request that we correct inaccurate information, we will ask you to provide documentation supporting the accuracy of the Personal Information that is the subject of your request, and in doing so we will evaluate the totality of the data relating to the contested Personal Information. We may deny your request if we determine that the contested Personal Information is more likely than not accurate based on the data provided. Whether or not we are able to honor your correction request, we will notify you that your request was processed or denied and why. To exercise this right or choice, either visit our FAQs page or contact us at 844-246-1628.
Your Right to Request The Deletion Of Personal Information
Upon your request, we will delete the Personal Information we have collected about you, except for situations when that information is necessary for us to: provide you with a good or service that you requested; perform a contract we entered into with you; maintain the functionality or security of our systems; comply with or exercise rights provided by the law; or use the information internally in ways that are compatible with the context in which you provided the information to us or that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us.
To exercise your right to request the deletion of your Personal Information, either visit our FAQs or contact us at 844-246-1628. Requests to delete your Personal Information are generally free.
Your Right to Appeal
You can ask us to reconsider on the outcome of a request you’ve submitted regarding your rights to access, correction, deletion, and portability of your Personal Information and/or the right to know whether your personal data is being sold or shared. Upon receipt of your appeal, we’ll research your request and provide you an explanation of our review in writing. To exercise this right or choice, either visit our FAQs page or contact us at 844-246-1628.
Verification of Identity – Access, Deletion or Correction Requests
Password Protected Account. If you maintain, or are eligible to maintain, a password-protected account with us, you may submit an access, deletion or correction request by authenticating yourself with a password the way you normally would when you access the account (see exceptions below in the following paragraph). You’ll have to authenticate yourself again to access your data or complete deletion.
Former Accountholders and Non-Accountholders (without a Password Protected Account). If you do not have a password protected account, we will ask you to verify your identity using our mobile verification process. This process may involve a one-time pin or the capture of an image of your identity document, such as your driver’s license, and compares it to a self-photo you submit. We will only use this information to verify your identity. We will delete it after the time expires allowed by applicable state laws to process and respond to your request. If we cannot verify your identity, we will not be able to respond to your request. We will notify you to explain.
You may designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. Your agent will need a valid power of attorney or written permission signed by you. If the agent relies on written permission, we’ll need to verify the agent’s identity. We may also contact you directly to confirm the permission. Your authorized agent can submit your requests by calling us at 844-246-1628.
We Don’t Mind If You Exercise Your State Data Rights
We are committed to providing you control over your Personal Information. If you exercise any of these rights explained in this Policy, we will not disadvantage you. You will not be denied or charged different prices or rates for goods or services or provided a different level or quality of goods or services.
Cricket decides how long to retain your Personal Information consistent with these criteria:
- The type of personal information collected;
- How long the personal information is needed to operate the business or provide our Products and Services; and
- Whether the business is subject to contractual or legal obligations – such as ongoing litigation, mandatory data retention laws or government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation.
View California Metrics for the Prior Calendar Year
You may review information about the company's California data requests for the prior calendar year by visiting the California metrics page.
Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI)
CPNI is information about your telecommunication services from us, like the plan you subscribe to and details about who you’ve called. But your telephone number, name and address are not considered CPNI.
We use your CPNI internally. For example, we may share CPNI with Cricket affiliates and our agents to offer new or enhanced services or promotions. We also use your CPNI to create aggregate data or information that does not personally identify you.
We do not share CPNI with anyone outside of the Cricket affiliates or our authorized agents or vendors without your consent, with the following authorized exceptions: Court orders; as authorized by law; fraud detection; to provide your service and route your calls; for network operations and security; aggregate information and information that doesn’t identify you personally.
It is your right and our duty under federal law to protect the confidentiality of your CPNI.
If you don’t want us to use your CPNI internally for things like offers, you can opt-out.
If you choose to restrict our use of your CPNI, it won’t affect your ability to use any of your services. You can change your mind at any time about letting us use or not use your CPNI. If you restrict your CPNI use, you may still get marketing from us about products and services similar to those you purchase from us.
How to contact us about this Policy. Contact us at either of these addresses for any questions about this Policy.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
For questions not related to privacy Contact our Customer Service team. You also can access your online account for additional service options.
If you are not satisfied with our resolution of any dispute, including with respect to privacy or data-use concerns, please review a description of our dispute resolution procedures at https://www.cricketwireless.com/legal-info/dispute-resolution-by-binding-arbitration.html.
You also have the option of filing a complaint with the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection, using an online form, or by calling toll-free 877.FTC.HELP ((877) 382.4357; TTY: (866) 653.4261). Other rights and remedies also may be available to you under federal or other applicable laws.
Biometric Information Privacy Notice
If you have a question about how this notice applies, contact email@example.com.