Mobile Hotspot Troubleshooting
Having trouble with Mobile Hotspot? Look at the list of common issues below.
My Mobile Hotspot is not working.
Ensure that you have Mobile Hotspot enabled on your phone:
- Android - From the home screen > Select Settings > More Networks > Tethering and Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Windows - From the home screen > Select Settings > Internet Sharing > Turn Sharing On
I don't know if Mobile Hotspot is on my account.
Go to My Account online or open the myCricket app on your mobile phone to confirm the Mobile Hotspot feature is attached to a phone number on your account. The feature will be listed in your account details is you have it.
- Yes - Go to phone settings and turn on Mobile Hotspot.
- No - Visit My Account online or use the myCricket app and add the Mobile Hotspot feature for $10/mo, or visit a retail store.
I need to keep my Mobile Hotspot secure from unauthorized access.
It is recommended that you set up Mobile Hotspot security (WPA2 is the most secure), including password.
- Go to Apps > Settings > More > Mobile Hotspot on your phone. Note: These steps may vary depending on your network or phone.
- Your phone turns off Wi-Fi and uses the mobile network for Internet access.
- Touch Set up Mobile Hotspot to set up security.
- Network SSID: Enter a unique name for your hotspot.
- Security: Select the type of security you want: Open or WPA2. For WPA2, enter a unique password that others will need to access your Wi-Fi hotspot. Note: WPA2 is recommended by IEEE.
- Password: Create a password with at least eight characters.
- Select SAVE.
- Refer to your phone's user guide if you have further questions. Visit www.cricketwireless.com/support/devices-and-accessories.html to find your phone listed by brand and model name, then click on the link for your preferred User Guide in English or Spanish.
I need to connect a Wi-Fi enabled device to my Mobile Hotspot.
First make sure you have Mobile Hotspot turned on in your phone's settings. Then from the device you want to connect, choose your smartphone from the list of Wi-Fi networks showing. Enter the password you configured on your phone.
I don't have Mobile Hotspot, but I received a message on my phone to go to a web address to add it.
If your phone is eligible and you try to turn Mobile Hotspot on in your phone settings but you don't have the Mobile Hotspot feature enabled, you will see a special message. It directs you to learn more about Cricket Mobile Hotspot and add it to your account for a monthly charge. You may purchase the Mobile Hotspot Add-on feature or ignore the message entirely.
I switched out my SIM to another phone, and Mobile Hotspot no longer works.
Did you switch your SIM to a phone that is eligible for Mobile Hotspot?
- Verify that Mobile Hotspot is turned on the new phone
- You can choose to move your SIM back to a device that is eligible for Mobile Hotspot. Keep in mind, you will need to add the feature back if you removed it.
- If the phone you are using is not eligible for Mobile Hotspot and you don't wish to switch phones, you can remove the feature from your account. Go to My Account online or open the myCricket app on your mobile phone to update your features. You can also go to a retail store or dial *611 and speak to a representative to remove Mobile Hotspot from your account.
My Mobile Hotspot turned off after I stepped away for a little while.
Within your Mobile Hotspot settings, the feature is defaulted to turn off after a certain amount of inactivity. You can adjust the amount of time that Mobile Hotspot stays on in your phone settings.
My battery is losing its charge really quickly when Mobile Hotspot is on.
It is recommended that when you are using Mobile Hotspot and have devices connected that you do one of the following:
- Connect your phone to a charger that is plugged into a wall outlet.
- Carry a back-up battery or wireless battery charger when you won't have a power cord to use.
- Limit the number of devices that are tethered to your hotspot.
I have Mobile Hotspot on my phone, and my speeds have slowed down.
Check if you have used all your high-speed or Mobile Hotspot tethering data. You can do this by visiting My Account online or using the myCricket App on your mobile phone and checking the data usage tracker.
If you're on a Cricket Unlimited plan, after 10 GB of usage, Mobile Hotspot data speeds slow to max of 128 Kbps for the rest of bill cycle. If you're on a plan with a high-speed data allowance, and you've used all of your high-speed data, your speeds will be slowed to a maximum of 128Kbps for the remainder of your billing cycle.
To add high-speed Mobile Hotspot data, purchase the 15 GB Mobile Hotspot Add-on for $10 in My Account or the myCricket app. It can be added as a one-time or monthly charge.
- Upgrade your rate plan to the next available plan to get a larger bucket of high-speed data.
- Add 1 GB of high-speed data to your account for a one-time charge of $10.
- Wait for your next monthly billing cycle to start in order to enjoy high-speed data again.
- Verify that you are in a coverage area and connected to the network.
- Verify how many devices you have tethered to your Mobile Hotspot. If you have multiple devices tethered, this can reduce your data speeds and potentially impact your ability to watch videos. Reduce the number of devices connected to your hotspot.
I need information on high-speed data access and network performance.
Visit Cricket's Mobile Broadband Information page.