A SIM card is a small, removable smart card that connects your wireless device to the Cricket network. SIM cards come in three sizes: Standard (Mini), Micro, and Nano.
The Universal SIM Card Kit gives you everything you need to activate your unlocked, compatible phone on the Cricket network. Each kit includes pop-out SIM cards in all three sizes. The image below shows how the three different SIM cards compare to the size of a penny.
How to Activate a New SIM Card
How to Insert a SIM Card
1. Turn off your phone.
2. Locate your SIM card slot:
- For most smartphones: remove the back panel and battery from your phone and you should see a SIM card slot.
- For iPhones and some other phones: look for the slide-out SIM tray on the top or side of your phone. Insert the tip of a SIM tray tool or a small paper clip to open it.
- If you need help, follow the directions that came with your phone to find your SIM card slot.
3. Insert your Sim Card:
- If you have a new Cricket phone: look for the missing corner on your SIM card. Match it with the missing corner on the SIM card slot and carefully insert your SIM card.
- If you brought your own phone and have a Universal SIM Card Kit:
- Remove your current SIM card from the SIM card slot if needed.
- Match your SIM card size to the Standard SIM, Micro SIM, or Nano SIM in the Universal SIM Card Kit.
- Pop out the correct size SIM card from the credit card-sized plastic card. If you happen to pop out a size that is too small, you can always push it back into the larger size you need.
- Look for the missing corner on your SIM card. Match it with the missing corner on the SIM card slot and then carefully insert your SIM card.
Did You Get a SIM card Error Message? Try these steps:
- Turn the phone off.
- Remove the SIM card.
- Make sure the SIM card says Cricket on it.
- Look for damage to the SIM card including liquid damage. Clean with a soft cloth if needed.
- Reinsert the SIM.
- Turn the phone back on.
Understanding IMEI and ICCID numbers
The International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (IMEI) is a 15-digit number used to identify phones that work on certain mobile or wireless cellular networks. The IMEI is only used for identifying the phone and is not tied to a phone number or account.
An Integrated Circuit Card Identifier (ICCID) is an identification number for SIM cards. Each Cricket SIM card has a unique 20-digit ICCID number. It's stored in the card's memory and printed on the card.
Replacement SIM Cards
You might need to replace your SIM card if:
- Your SIM card is damaged or your phone shows an "Insert SIM Card" or "No SIM" error.
- You have a different phone you want to use with your Cricket service and you need a different size SIM card.
- Sign in to My Account.
- Select the line that needs a new SIM card.
- Select Device, and then select Get a New SIM Card.
- Select Replace SIM.
Either way, we make it easy to order a replacement SIM card for your phone. Just follow the steps below.
That's it! Your new SIM card will be on the way shortly!
Bring Your Own Phone to Cricket
Find out if your phone is compatible on our network. Get Started >